Friday, June 3, 2016

Is it ok to be enough?

Is it OK to be Enough by Emma Van Riper

What does it mean to BE enough? The idea of enoughness was brought to my attention about a year ago and has made me reevaluate how I look at myself and others. It has been long and strange struggle to figure out what being enough even means. What would that look like? Would I just come off as conceited or self important?? 

Defining Enough

The dictionary defines enough as “as much or as many as required.” How does this idea apply to a person? A regular person with quirks, flaws and one who has made countless mistakes. With technology at our fingertips we are constantly bombarded with images sending us messages that we are incomplete until we have the relationship, the job, the money, the perfect body, the baby, etc… the list goes on and on. It seems like there’s always more to do, more to achieve, more to become. Of course we want to grow, learn, and to become the best versions of ourselves. But how can we find the balance in striving for personal goals and putting down the measuring stick to see how we measure up in the world? 
I would like to try my best at something and not care if it’s Pintrest or #goalcrushing worthy. I know it sounds silly but those are the measurements that come into my mind. Is this picture Facebook worthy or was meal more of a Pintrest fail. Did I do enough in all my roles today? Was I the very best mother, wife, daughter, and friend. Most of the time it’s no, and I feel like crap about it. Insert social media and see how much everyone else seemed to conquer life and I feel even worse. But that can’t be their real life every single day, right? I mean, they are humans too with flaws, quirks and lazy moments too, right?! 

Measuring Up

Measuring UpI know this logically but it still gets under my skin on those days when I feel like I just will never measure up. But the bigger question is measure up to what? As I dived further into this topic it became clear that I needed to define what being enough meant to me personally and find a way to burn the stupid measuring stick. There wasn’t a mantra or a quick fix that I could apply that worked for any amount of time, I tried. One of the most influential leaders of our time on this topic is Dr. Brené Brown, I highly recommend checking out her work. She talks about how there are no prerequisites to worthiness. 
A light bulb went off. For me to feel enough I had to accept that I was worthy of being enough. That I could own all my flaws and still show up to the arena. That I could honor lazy days and not be riddled with guilt. perfect is not the goal. Showing up and meeting yourself where you are at, each and every single day is. 

Self Care

Enoughness is a hard topic to talk about and an even trickier dance to live. How does this practice fit in real life full of different roles and pressures. For me it comes down to self care, cliche I know, but its true. When I practice owning my own worthiness I can take the time and resources necessary to take care of my self. I take care of myself not in any of the roles I have and love but to nourish my own being. The more I can prioritize my self care, the more the feelings of not measuring up lessen. Personally I turn to my yoga practice during those times when I prioritize my self care. I simply care less about where I stand in comparison. 
Make TimeBy committing to take my needs seriously I am able nourish my soul in a way that also helps me learn how to support others around me. Finding the courage to help myself also helps me show up to my life with more compassion and empathy. When I have more compassion and empathy, I can better support my family and friends in meeting their needs because I am full rather than depleted. Taking your individual needs seriously is a practice that takes commitment as its always ongoing; life often throws curve balls in the way, and old negative patterns come up regularly. Despite the obstacles, it is a path I am committed to for myself and so that my family knows they too are enough. “You are imperfect, you are wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging.” ― Brené Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ankrJOeueQw

No comments:

Post a Comment